With the Stay-in-Shelter requirements, comfort food is making a great comeback here at our house. Matzo Ball soup has always fit the comfort food bill quite nicely but who wants to make the same old matzo ball soup all the time, so I went surfing to find something different.
When you want to find some good Jewish recipes, I recommend WhatJewWannaEat.com
There, I found this matzo ball recipe that takes the classic soup to a new, gourmet level. Try it once and you will never go back to the classic recipe again.
The website credits Amy Kritzer for the recipe and we have to say, good job Amy!
Here is her recipe:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil (or schmaltz!)
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 1 corn cob, with the corn, removed
- 1-2 jalapeños, seeds, and everything!
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 plum tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 9 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded chicken
- 1 avocado, diced, for serving
- Lime slices for serving
- For matzo balls:
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil (or schmaltz!)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced for matzo balls, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pouch Lipton Kosher Matzo Ball Mix
When you form your matzo balls, do not over mix or over form.
- In a large stockpot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, and sauté about 5 minutes, until they start to turn translucent. Then add corn and jalapeños and sauté until everything starts to brown and soften. Then add garlic and tomatoes and sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add 2 teaspoons cumin and stir. Then add chicken broth, stir and bring to a simmer.
- While you are waiting for the soup to simmer, whisk together 2 eggs, 1 tablespoon oil, 2 tablespoons minced cilantro, 1 teaspoon ground cumin and Lipton Kosher Matzo Ball Mix in a medium bowl.
- Wet hands, and form into about 10-12 1-inch balls.
- Carefully place the balls into the simmering soup. Simmer for 15 minutes, turning the balls occasionally for even cooking. Matzo balls will expand when they are done. Add chicken and heat until chicken is warm.